Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Writing and Technology

Out of all the articles, I found From Pencils to Pixels to be the most interesting. I think mainly because I like reading about history, and how things are constantly in a state of evolution. On page 22, I found the one sentence that has been proven true throughout many states of history. “Questions of validity came up because writing was indeed being used to perpetrate fraud.” It continues to say how Monks used this to snatch land. I find that interesting that this ‘technology’ has been used for years when dealing with land grabs. We don’t even have to look at European history to see that the written language was used/introduced to a civilization that didn’t understand the concept. Yet even today, this treaties and laws are held as the ‘gospel’ when dealing with reservation entitlement. I guess I just find it interesting that we read about all this stuff, our government knows what happened and how corrupt it was, yet nothing is being done to repeal any of these deals.

Found it interesting to see where the word stylus came from. 

The telephone discussion was pretty cool, also. I have watched my two girls nodded ‘yes’ or shake their head ‘no’, when talking to people on the phone. That part of the reading was pretty funny. While at Boise State University, I did a large research paper on the Enigma Machine (famous coding machine used by Germany during WWII). When the machine was first invented, the owner tried selling it to the phone company as a new telecommunication device. They didn’t want it so he went and sold it to the military. The technology behind that machine if sold to the phone manufacturers could have possibly changed who our phones work today.

I do agree with the side note written on page 212 of Database and the Essay. We live in a world where nothing is free anymore. If there is a buck to be made, somebody is going to exploit it. I understand the intellectual property issue, and agree that if you write something then others shouldn’t be able to copy it and take credit for your work. I still continue to be in classes where students are worried about plagiarism for merely taking an idea that they read and translating in incorrectly. Yet, what I see in the real world is, if you have made a name for yourself as a writer and have a large fan base, or legal time, then its ok. Why is it ok to ‘borrow’ ideas from other books, stories, movies, and make money (if you’re famous), yet get kicked out of college for doing the same thing? I haven’t figured that out yet.

As far as the video, and the Britannica blog, am I actually supposed to be feeling sorry for the students? Call me a jerk or whatever, but I came to school to learn, not party, spend half my time on Facebook, playing video games, then turn around and complain that I don’t have enough time to study. I understand that school is busy, but give me a break. I don’t know how many times in class on the Engineering side here at MSU, classmates came in stoned, or stinking of high heaven of alcohol. I did like the one parent who commented that if she would have seen her daughter on the video stating stuff, and then her daughter would have to pay for her own school. I do feel that maybe schools need to be structured to focus on classes that are more important to the degree. “It will make you more well rounded” is not a answer as to why students have to take classes that have nothing to do with their degree. If schools are worried about student’s not getting by, do away with huge lecture hall filled classes, and the ‘filler’ classes.

6 comments:

  1. I think I agree with you about the large lecture halls, although I suppose it keeps tuition down for the rest of us. ;) It's interesting that you say we should do away with the "filler classes." By that I assume you mean Core classes. I think I disagree there. Although maybe we agree on something else. I think that the ideas about what college is has changed over the past few decades. What used to be an institution for receiving a well-rounded education has become a factory for cranking out engineers and computer programmers and the like. We are taught skills instead of ideas and we are taught what to think instead of how to think. Perhaps this is an overgeneralization, but I think we've taken the human out of the humanities. There are places you can go to get a degree in technical skills in which you don't have to take literature or history classes. You said you like history, so I think you'd agree with me that those classes are important. I think what college teaches us goes well beyond job preparation. In some cases, it's life preparation. I already did my core classes over a decade ago, so I suppose I'm far removed from the frustrations of having to take those "other" classes. So take it with a grain of salt.

    But here I go again, contradicting myself. Maybe it's GOOD that we have iPods and cell phones and Facebook in class. Perhaps it teaches consequences. You were too busy texting your friend about her date last night? Well, I guess you did miss that important part of the lecture where the professor told everyone that there would be a quiz next Tuesday. Huh. Too bad.

    It's not as if the texting stops when we graduate. Facebook is still on my work computer. I can listen to Pandora all day if I choose. I suppose that when you turn 18 you become an adult and you make your own decisions about when to work and when to play. I also suppose we should all be so lucky as to find a job where work IS play. But you still have to draw the line somewhere and work, I've found, is still work if you're sitting at a computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand where you are coming from, but I still have to disagree to a point on core classes. I had to take a CLS class, and till this day, I don't understand what I was supposed to get out of it. I liked reading Plato, which I wouldn't have ever imagined reading. I guess its those classes that I am talking about, when your done you look back and think, "And the point of the class was..?"

      As far as the technical schools...it depends. I have researched many famous tech/trade schools (did this when looking into Drafting), and they all seem to be adding more classes to the schedule. So now a two year degree can take longer for some. Is it really that important for some classes in the tech schools or are they seeing more money?

      Learning consequences is part of life and I agree that students just need to decide what is important to them. For me it just gets old (most likely to professors also) to hear students say they didn't have time to check D2L, yet will go on about spending hours on Facebook.

      I love technology (again it depends on the situation), and I truly agree with you that as an individual you need to decide when it is appropriate to use certain technologies. If your working and get fired for surfing the net, well, you made the wrong choice. But by then, you know what is acceptable at work and what is not.

      Delete
    2. I want to agree with Matt here but try to do so speaking as a student, not a teacher, if y'all can hear the difference.

      I'm not surprised Kevin chooses the CLS "university seminar" course as the example of Core classes being pointless. My general-education curriculum as an undergrad had such a thing too, and it was equally pointless because (as is the case with MSU's) it was basically a second version of the required College Writing course.

      But I remember every single other gen-ed course I took as highly meaningful, and I use knowledge from them literally every day. Economics lets me not be the idiot in the room when business people talk about "opportunity costs." Environmental Biology lets me know what the FWP biologists around here mean when they talk about "carrying capacity." Astronomy taught me beginning physics and why the ship maneuvers in the battle scenes in Star Wars are ludicrous (a little problem called orbital mechanics). Political Science taught me something about why American politics is where it is. And this list goes on for eight more courses without which I simply wouldn't be as literate as an educated American ought to be. (Music, Psych, European History, German, and wildly cool interdisciplinary stuff like Science & Religion.)

      I guess the short form is, I judged the value of core classes in my education by the best of them rather than the worst, and that kept me from getting frustrated with them before I could see the value of them in lived experience after the fact.

      Delete
    3. Some of the classes even though they are filler, are great. I didn't mean to say they are all worthless, sorry if it came out that way. As a student we really need to focus and find the classes that are fun or interesting to us. I admit that I have taken many classes that are very interesting and glad I took them.

      In my college career I have taken many history classes and loved them. No, those were not a waste of time for me, because I enjoyed them. I guess the CLS classes here are just...(I don't know how to describe them). Each instructor teaches it in a different way, my class was reading and speeches. Others were just reading and talking. My instructor taught German, yet I had Calculus for Technology instructor teaching CLS.
      These are the classes I really mean...if the school just tosses names into a hat to teach a class..that has nothing to do with ANY background of the teacher...then what do they expect when students question school motives? I hope that makes sense.

      Delete
  2. I happen to be one of those students who sits in class, bored out of my mind in my "filler" classes because I have NO interest in finance or accounting so what do I do, get on my phone, check facebook, online shop etc. then turn around and complain how I have no time to do my homework between both of my jobs. I know it is the part of learning as growing up, and I would think after 4 years now, I would get the hint... nope.. But in the videos we had to watch for this week, it is discussed how we need technology to help us with our work and getting things done. But, are they really helping? Or is this all a circle in the vicious cycle of trying to help students, or helping them not try because they are distracted, due to the no interest classes they have to be taking = "filler" classes..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand wanting to have the power to choose for one's self what is important in your education–I want that too. If you see a class as something you have to do in order to get a degree, rather than an opportunity to learn, it is a waste of time, but it doesn't have to be if you choose a different attitude. Maybe CORE 2.0 classes are only as meaningful as we make them?

    ReplyDelete