Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Week 5


I have been using computers for years now, typically writing for school, or internet research. The article by Virginia Heffernan “Google’s War on Nonsense” was actually pretty interesting. I never really thought that some articles would actually be printed as garbage just to make money for AOL. I understand there is a lot of crap on the internet, but to pay writers to much make up stuff just to get the advertising money…that’s just pathetic. I guess I shouldn’t be all that shocked, because I have noticed that even local newspaper companies don’t really seem to write their own stories anymore. I can see that if it is national news, then a local branch wouldn’t have access to a lot of what happened. But what happens when the story source is wrong? Now you have local papers looking like fools, because they didn’t investigate the truth. Even the local papers are more or less following suit with this idea, ‘let’s fill our paper with trivial stuff, and then get most of our money on ad space.’ So is what AOL doing, any different than what local newspapers are doing?

I have never used AOL, only because all I have ever heard about them is once you join, good luck canceling. I typically use Google for my search engine, but even then, it’s the internet, some days finding what you’re truly looking for is like finding a needle in a haystack. Google needs money from advertisers; they might just go about it in a different way.

I really liked how a couple of the articles discussed how anonymity can create this sense that people who comment to articles feel that they actually know what they are talking about. Funny how the internet can make Einstein's out of everyone! I have read numerous comments from people posting to articles on Bozeman Chronicle, MSN News, etc. Some of the comments are flat out fabricated lies, which the poster has tried to make sound like facts. Doug Gross talks about how some places have thought about requiring the commenter’s real names, but then that would prevent people from posting. I agree that most comments from people are just a huge waste of hot air. I did think the idea of having a select group only commenting on an article was cool. The only drawback to that, are they going to make sure the comments are totally unbiased? They could easily pick people who will only say certain things, just to help sell the story/publication.  Either way, until they figure out a great way to filter out the crap, I guess people will continue to blame Obama because the weather forecast shows it will rain.

2 comments:

  1. we covered a lot of this in journalism class. i have been thinking how expensive a good story would be. my bills are due plus there would be travel expenses. then there are database subscriptions. taking people out to lunch, hiring photographers. should the reader pay for news? if they did they would only get garage sales coverage. think about interviewing two experts in different parts of the country...then being sued by the person you made look bad. Truth and ethics are about the only reason why people buy newspapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to comment on that last paragraph, the idea of selecting a few people who would be allowed to contribute struck me as a fairly good one as well. Is there such a thing as an unbiased view? That next thought you say about picking people who will say certain things is a weird thought. At that point, why not just take the comment boxes off the page? At that point, has it not just become an additional section of whatever the website is, as opposed to a comment box? Strange stuff. That seems like quite an extreme to go to, has there not been some larger attempt to find out some more reasons why people leave horrible posts? The specific examples in the text were interesting, but I'd think there'd be more surveys running around about this, after this week's assigned readings. And that weather forecast was definitely Palin's fault. Ya see, that even feels weird and pointless to type, how much of it could be an attempt at humor? I'll admit every once in a while one makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete